Psychopaths look, sound, and behave like us. They literally hide in plain sight. If you listen carefully, you might be able to hear one. Look at the following questions. Choose which you think is a psychopath’s response. Check your answers at the bottom. Don’t be surprised – these guys are great at what they do.
1. A co-worker has hidden his mistake from the boss. You helped him, and it worked. The psychopathic co-worker smiles, and sums up what just happened.
a. “You owe me big time.”
b. “We finally got away with something here.”
c. “I’m glad no one will find out.”
d. “The boss has no clue.”
2. A couple has been dating for two months. He’s a psychopath but she has no clue. She’s a normal, plain-looking women with little experience dating. One evening, over candlelight at a favorite bistro, she whispers, “I love you.” He smiles, takes her hand, and responds,
a. “I love you more than you can imagine – from the day I met you I couldn’t resist your incredible beauty.”
b. “Isn’t it a bit early to be saying those things?”
c. “What’s love?”
d. “Can you pass the garlic knots?”
3. You and your psychopathic neighbor have an argument. His tree has fallen down in your yard after a rainstorm. Your neighbor says,
a. “I’m really sorry, I’ll pay to get it cleared.”
b. “I have no intention of paying anything. It’s all your fault – you should have known this was going to happen and said something.”
c. “No big deal, you can afford to get it cleared.”
d. “We’ll split the cost.”
4. A psychopath at work is in trouble. He turns to co-workers, asking them to help.
a. “Let’s all be honest and tell the truth as we see it.”
b. “Let’s stand together and admit that we all made a mistake.”
c. “Ignore the boss and he’ll go away.”
d. “Tell the boss that the cleaning crew did it – no one will ever know you lied.”
5. You discover a love triangle between you, your boyfriend, and the cocktail waitress at your favorite bar. When you confront your psychopathic boyfriend he:
a. Shakes his head and says, “our relationship is over.”
b. Smiles and says, “you drove me away.”
c. Sighs and says, “I couldn’t help myself.”
d. Cries and says “I’m sorry.”
6. A group of friends go to see a bloody horror movie. The psychopath comments about the serial killer character:
a. “Why would anyone want to watch a movie about him?”
b. “Why would anyone want to make a movie about him?”
c. “He’s cool. Great movie.”
d. “He scared the hell out of me. Great movie.”
7. You’re at a backyard barbecue and everyone is talking about the situation in the world. Which one is the psychopath?
a. “I want peace in the world.”
b. “I want all the wars to end.”
c. “I want no more terrorists, jihads, and people killing other people for religion.”
d. “I want the world to be the way I want it to be.”
8. You’re in a group therapy session where each individual takes their turn stating their worst fault. What does the psychopath say?
a. “I hate myself.”
b. “I’m terrified of the dark.”
c. “I have no faults.”
d. “I have a real fear of dogs and run if I see one.”
Answers: 1a, 2a, 3b, 4d, 5b, 6c, 7d, 8c
Talk about the answers with someone you trust. Remember, like the rest of us, each psychopath is different. If you find another possible answer, ask “why?” Nothing is completely right or wrong unless you’re a psychopath.